The Department of Planning and Community Development plans for the orderly and efficient development of the community in a professional, courteous, and timely manner by:
- Providing customer service, information, and education to the residents of the City of Harrisonburg and surrounding communities.
- Interpreting and administering development codes.
- Conducting inspections to ensure compliance with all related codes.
- Keeping and maintaining an archive.
- Listening to and addressing the concerns of the community, relating to different types of inquires received.
- Ensuring the general health, safety, and welfare of the community by promoting safe development and sound construction.
- Maintaining a comprehensive plan and zoning ordinance for the development of the community.
Community Development is divided into three divisions:
Department of Planning and Community Development
409 South Main Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm (except holidays)